Corinth has been a convenient location for bypassing the circumnavigation of the entire Peloponnese since ancient times.
Ancient Greeks constructed a stone passage where upon they were able to tow ships overland from the Saronic Gulf to the Corinthian Gulf and vice versa.
The dream for the creation of a canal was first conceived by the Tyrant of Corinth Periander in 603 BCE, and the first attempts at digging a canal were made in 307 BCE. More failed attempts followed in Roman times, by the Byzantine empire, and by the Venetians.
The successful connection of the two gulfs was finally made in 1893 when the first boats passed through it.
The canal is 6346 meters long, 24.6 meters wide, and about 8 meters deep.